Saturday, March 12, 2005

Exploring Micro-ISVs

Longhorn Developer Center Home: Exploring Micro-ISVs: "Summary: Eric examines the world of micro-ISVs, which are software companies that are comprised of only one person. (8 printed pages)
In most of my writings I am talking about a particular type of software company, which I refer to as a 'small ISV'. I daresay most of my readers know what I mean by this term, but I'd like to take a moment to define it.
The word 'ISV' is an acronym that stands for Independent Software Vendor. An ISV is a software company that creates and sells software products.
Consulting shops are not ISVs, although an ISV may do consulting work.
Value-added resellers are not ISVs, although an ISV may certainly resell stuff from somebody else.
In an ISV, you have to envision the product you want to build and take a risk that somebody will still want to buy it by the time you get it built.
If you don't have a software product, you are not an ISV. "

No comments:

Post a Comment