Monday, February 07, 2005

Terse Systems : A good JSP editor

Terse Systems : A good JSP editor: "This is the story of how I found a good JSP editor.
Code completion is the killer feature for me. It's the reason I moved from Emacs to JBuilder, and from JBuilder to Eclipse. Code completion means less syntax to think about, and more attention to devote to code. So it came as a shock when I started putting JSP together and found out that 'ctrl-space' didn't do anything in Eclipse.
I had a list of specific features though:
Must support custom tag libraries.
Must complete tags and attributes of tags.
Must support embedded Java syntax.
Must complete methods and recognize Java classes inside <% %>.
Must validate Java expressions for syntax and missing variables.
Must not crash, hang or install crap onto IDE.
Not too complicated, right? I want a JSP editor and just a JSP editor. No autodeployed J2EE applications. No fancy GUI. No 'debug on the fly' feature. In short, no crap."

No comments:

Post a Comment