Tuesday, February 01, 2005

JLamp - Profiling Java Code

JLamp - Profiling Java Code: "I've been trying to optimize my website (http://www.goldengateimages.com/) recently, which is hosted on an entry-level server with very little memory. Some functionality, notably searches, were quite slow, and I wanted to streamline the application to improve performance and scalability. I first dug into the code ad-hoc, but after fixing a couple of obvious bottlenecks, I realized that I had no idea where the rest of the hotspots were, and would need a profiler to help me out.

After researching open-source alternatives (I found none), I downloaded trial versions of JProbe (which I didn't like) and JProfiler (which I liked very much). JProfiler is a $500 piece of software that performs a variety of profiling tasks, all bundled in a very simple and easy to use Java GUI. It supports all major application servers, and integrates with IntelliJ as well (although I could never get the plugin to work). "

JLamp

No comments:

Post a Comment