A fellow IBMer whom I just discovered his blog entry through Technorati is having pretty much the same opinion as I over the ability of the IBM mainframe to stay the course, based on its new positionning in the marketplace in the last few years as a high-end enterprise server, as opposed to simply a COBOL-crunching machine.
I was also discussing the same points on IBMs internal blogging website, where I was saying how I could today consider learning mainframe technologies and feel Id have a secure position in the future of the IT industry. I mean, face it, all the buzzwords we keep hearing about, like Resiliency, Grid Computing, High Availability, Virtualization, .. thats the mainframe, dude!
A single z9 could probably provide enough computing power for a whole neighbourhood of internet geeks through virtual linux machines. Star Trek computing power AND omnipresence may not be that far after all
By: Jean-Francois Arseneault
- Journaling for Performance
- AS400 PRTF - Report Layout Utility
- RIAA sues the dead | The Register
- AS400 / ISeries Freeware / Shareware
- ibm as400 manuals v5r4
- Javalobby - Java J2EE Programming Forums - Coldtags suite 2.1: 210+ custom JSP tags
- Creating an as400 Query
- as400 Iseries Tips
- AS400 APIs
- AS400 API - QCMDEXC - Execute Command